Tuesday 2 June 2015

My current Splatoon obsession & non-stop surprises

Squid puns, miiverse meme and too much ink to handle, Splatoon is the game that keeps on delivering. We knew it would be popular, but i didn't think this squid adventure would make such a large impact on the gaming world.


Multiplayer mode has turned out to be highly addictive. Being thrown into a 4 vs 4 match with randoms isn't really what i enjoy doing, yet Splatoon has me coming back for more after every round. Levelling up and building up coins is a bonus, but the simple yet addictive gameplay would be the main reason. I also find myself generally enjoying a shooting game - a genre that has been really hit and miss to me over the years. I'd say it's the multiplayer side of the genre that has always pushed me away, so enjoying a game that is exactly that is yet another surprise that has me none stop smiling.


Online matches aren't the only reason to play Splatoon - Single player mode can be just as fun. It's a great way to build up your squid skills, as you tackle a decent number of missions. They can be played at any pace, with satisfying results such as more weapons to be used in online matches. Boss fights do a good job of reminding you this is a Nintendo game, feeling like they've been taken from a Mario Galaxy game - they're super fun! You can also replay the missions if you're lucky enough to own any of the three amiibo's that were released at launch. Resulting in more coins and attire that can only be obtained in this mode. It's great to have a lot of single player content for a game that's main purpose is to play online against people around the world. It's a relaxing way to shoot ink at your own leisure and still have fun doing so.


Miiverse is where the surprise factor can be found in Splatoon - you name it and it's already been created. Spoongebob, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, various squid characters from Nintendo's Mario and Pokemon games and so much more. Fans aren't holding back and i love it. The one i've posted features Super Mario Sunshine and an ink boy, a collaboration i'm sure we would all love to see. If you want to see what else Splatoon's miiverse has to offer, i posted a few more screenshots on twitter. There's even a Cheeky Nando's reference, which really caught me off guard!

Are you enjoying Splatoon? Is it a game that's surprised you? Let me know in the comments below, and if you ever want to play Splatoon together - my Wii U NNID is 'shirobot'. Let me know if you're ever up for a game. See you in the squid world!

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of shocked by how much I love the look of this game, Adam. I mean, it just oozes style, doesn't it? For that reason alone, I'm glad it seems to have found a place in the hearts of Wii U owners worldwide. The fact that it seems to be both addictive and fun is just icing on the cake. Now I just have to buy a Wii U and this game so I can experience it myself!

    ReplyDelete